ongoing..

My wall vases are a project I’ve been working on for quite a while now. I’m not sure where I want to go with these but I know I want to make lots more… I’d like to see a whole large wall full them!

The vases are made from ceramic vessels that are originally used to moisture the air as they hang on the side of radiators. I’m not sure if these are used in other countries but here in the Netherlands they are well known although not often used any more. I buy them at thrift shops and fleamarkets because of all the different shapes old ones have.

Making them into the vases they are now is quite a long process.

This is what they are like to start with – after cleaning. They look quite pretty in this picture but in real life most of them aren’t!

I cover them with a layer of paper-maché.

And paint them white..

Then the fun begins… the decorating!

I use all kinds of paper, fabric, photo’s, paint, markers, stamps etc, etc.

Now you know how it’s done, you can make your own;)) Have fun!

41 Comments

• *itKuPiLLi*

August 14, 2010 at 5:17 pm

These are absolutely fabulous! And the pictures are perfect. I just love everything in this post. :))

• Casa e Cose

August 14, 2010 at 6:22 pm

How can you have no comments yet? These are just amazing – you are so so talented and creative.
    Thanks for sharing this,
    Helena

• Meb

August 15, 2010 at 12:47 am

Those are fantastic! We surely don’t have those in Canada! Thanks for sharing! Keep making beautiful things!

• Kirsty

August 15, 2010 at 3:54 am

Amazing! Well done for transforming something forgotten into something beautiful and practical.

• lynn-anne

August 16, 2010 at 2:22 am

i love these. my daughter caroline is always making these out of soda bottles, but i love yours so much . . .

• The Muse of The Day

August 16, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Just like the pillow says – BEAUTIFUL

They were pretty to begin with, but you transformed them into something beautiful. All together on the painted white brick wall they are truly something to admire. I only have one question, Jane, how do they hang? Is the a little hole on the back of each vase that I don’t see? How did you attach them to the brick wall? Carolina

• Chelsea

August 16, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I’m a new subscriber via Creature Comforts. Your vases are absolutely beautiful!! I also loved your found art Christmas tree from 2008. So much talent! I can’t wait to have some free time to check out your blog and the other fun things you are up to. Have a great week!

• carole

August 16, 2010 at 11:24 pm

these are all beautiful
    they are not something that I have seen before, ( i mean the original use for them)
    you have a knack for making lovely pretty things!

• UmberDove

August 17, 2010 at 2:36 am

I have adored these since I first found your photos via Dottie Angel… and the adoration continues!

• Jutta

August 17, 2010 at 12:08 pm

These are just too pretty! I love them and it’s nice to learn how you’ve done them.

• Jane

August 17, 2010 at 12:41 pm

thank you all so much! i am working on a new series which I will show you soon….X

• Jenny B

August 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Jane,
    These are amazing. You should consider selling them. We don’t have anything like that available in the US so it would be hard to make our own. Your designs are amazing, so I wouldn’t want to make my own anyway, I want one of yours!!!!
    Jenny

• Kelly

August 18, 2010 at 1:31 am

Mooi! I have questions: could you do this with any ceramic vase, do you think? and after you paint and decorate with pictures etc, what do you seal it with? Daag, Kelly

• Gayle

August 18, 2010 at 1:59 am

lovely I have to try this with my children

• Jo

August 18, 2010 at 7:34 pm

What a wonderful project!
    x
    Jo

• Ana

August 18, 2010 at 11:12 pm

I love them! This is a great idea!

• Ingrid Jansen

August 19, 2010 at 1:31 pm

kijk dat is nog eens een leuke DIY en niet alleen mooi met muurbloempjes. de foto van het binnenplaatsje (?) is geweldig!

• Barbara

August 20, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Your vases are AMAZING!!! I love them and they look so wonderful as a grouping the brick wall. Thanks so much for all the info on how you created them. Do you also apply a layer of varnish over the images? The vases look shiny in the photo. I think varnish would be required to protect the images.

• sonrie

August 25, 2010 at 12:37 am

Wonderful, especially as an installation set up.

• valy

August 25, 2010 at 7:18 am

hello, I really like your vase and your pictures are beautiful,
    i speak about you in my blog (sorry for my bad english)
    Valérie. A French blogger

• val

August 26, 2010 at 7:15 am

these are very beautifull…i love them…I am also an artist your idea is really great good continuation if you want to see my cest work LESGOGOZIGOTOS.COM goodbye…

• christina

August 26, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Hej! I’m not sure if I’ll be able to find ceramic vessels, but I love this idea. Thanks for sharing it with the blog world! puss puss from America! :)

• deb

August 30, 2010 at 8:52 am

These are absolutely gorgeous, they look beautiful grouped together!

• geisslein

August 31, 2010 at 8:47 am

These are sooo great! love this idea! have a lovely day today. greetings from sunny germany, geisslein

• deb

September 3, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I’ve just blogged about your beautiful vases and etsy shop, hope that’s OK, Enjoy your weekend!

• daan

September 4, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Supermooi!!
    Ik kwam hier via Kickcan and Concers, mooimooimooi!

fijn weekend!

• Bukola

September 9, 2010 at 10:55 am

Hi there,

I found your blog through Bloesem and i have a question: What do you paint the vases with and when you are done how do you seal them? Your blog is quite beautiful and full of eye candy. All the Best from Texas!

• Jane

September 9, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Many thanks for all of you lovely comments, re-blogging and twittering:))
      To answer your questions: the vessels already have a hole in the back to hang them on a radiator. I hang them on small nail.
      I’ve used boat varnish to finish them. That’s a thick, clear, waterproof (I hope;) varnish. x Jane

• las sandalias de ana

September 16, 2010 at 5:38 pm

ohhh, precious!!!

;)

• Petits Songes

October 6, 2010 at 11:24 am

So beautiful!!!
    Have a good day!

• sarah spiral

October 23, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Hello there!!! I absolutely LOVE your vases – they are delicious, divine and wanted to ask if they are for sale as I cannot find them on your Etsy site..thank you so much – amazing work!!! Hooray!!
    Sarah

• jan

May 4, 2011 at 8:33 pm

so pretty. are they decoupage?

• Jane

May 4, 2011 at 8:45 pm

thank you! they are a combination of decoupage, drawings, paint, photo’s etc

• pc

March 29, 2012 at 5:28 am

love your blog…and i hope you don’t mind i pin this into my pinterest board! Love pc

• Cocoflower