matchbox love

A while ago my friend Hilma gave me this matchbox booklet as a gift. I love the idea of a little book in a box and I’m inspired to make some of my own;))

These are made here in the Netherlands by MATCHBOOX and are usually a collaboration between writers and illustrators. Each one is put together by hand. The one above is without text and it was bought in a museum so maybe it’s from a different series. I can’t find it on the site. I ordered the one below from their web shop. It was written by Arthur Japin and illustrated by Nanne Meulendijks.

There is quite a large collection. Isn’t this a great way to exhibit them?

My most cherished matchboxes are these, my friend Maaike made them for my daughters in 1990, when Nina was born. They aren’t actually mine but I’m keeping them for the girls…

And this one, made by Nina when she was about 5 years old. A mother’s day gift for me! If I remember correctly, it’s a crab in there!

These are quite nice too! I got the one on the left from the flea market. The middel one was a gift from Lu. I can’t remember where the 3rd one came from. It must belong to one of my daughters.

My own matchbox design is this one: LITTLE BOX OF LOVE – filled with all kinds of hearts – available here.

And these ones: LITTLE BOX OF TREASURES¬† and LITLE BOX OF POSITIVITY- each one filled with different goodies – will be available soon…

7 Comments

• samantha

June 18, 2010 at 2:25 pm

All these matchboxes are beautiful ! Great collection !

• The Muse of The Day

June 18, 2010 at 11:40 pm

The COLORS, the COLORS in your post today were fantastic. The whole thing was so inspiring… makes me want to make a matchbox booklet. I loved each and every photograph.

• carole

June 19, 2010 at 12:42 am

I love your little boxes, I want to buy some I’ll be checking your shop soon to find them!

• Coco

June 19, 2010 at 1:11 pm

De twee laatste matchboxes zien er veelbelovend uit!

• Camila F.

June 22, 2010 at 12:58 am

Oh, I love the idea of the Little Boxes of… Very lovely and inspiring, congratulations! ‚ô•

• bicocacolors

June 23, 2010 at 1:57 pm

What a beautiful blog here you have!!!
    congratulations and happy summer!!!
    Elena, the spanish one

• theaxx

July 3, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I stitched little bunnies and put them in matchboxes for easter! It was soooo much fun to do!!

thea.